Treat or “Fat Letter” – Sherry Johnston, NBC’s The Biggest Loser
I’m sure we’ve all heard about the woman in a North Dakota neighborhood who plans tonight for Halloween to hand out “fat letters” instead of candy to the children who come to her door that she thinks are moderately obese.
I was asked what I thought about it and well, my first thought is shame on her. I appreciate her desire to want to change the health of our children because we do have a childhood obesity problem but when did “fat shaming” children (or adults for that matter) become the right way to try to help??? The letter is directed to the parents but what child is not going to rip it open if they can read and read it! If they can’t read yet – they just know I got a piece of paper and you got a piece of candy. The problem is much bigger than candy on Halloween! I was the thinnest kid eating poorly but it caught up with me and landed me on NBC’s The Biggest Loser!
You know, I now have my first grandchild and I want to continue to change to set a healthier lifestyle example for her and others. Childhood obesity is “growing” and a couple stats I found while looking at this are even more alarming. This according to the Center of Disease Control (CDC):
- 17% of children and adolescents are obese in the US. 17% you say – that’s not that bad….. until you realize that is 12.5 million kids from age 2-19!!!!
- Obesity rates in children age 2-5 years old have doubled in last 30 years!
- 1 in 5 kids is overweight by age 6! The risk of health problems is tremendous!
- Over ½ of obese children (~6.25 million) became overweight first by age 2. And this puts them at higher risk of becoming obese adults. 2 years old…
- Childhood obesity rates have TRIPLED since 1980!
- 1 in 7 Low-Income Preschool children is obese! 2-4 year olds…
- 1/3 of high school students get recommended about of exercise…. Surprise! Not…
- The Food Industry spends 1.6 BILLION dollars each year to market to kids….
So how do we change this tide of obesity issues for our children????
We ALL NEED to make changes and choices. Lead by example. Believe me, I didn’t do it right with my children and very much regret it, hello my daughter was there with me on the BL Ranch! Since Season 9 of The Biggest Loser, I’ve done much better. Perfect…. I don’t think so…. But what I’ve just seen from the CDC and other places is truly enough to help me make those positive, healthy choices.
I don’t think there is one answer……. We all have a part to do by helping ourselves and in turn helping them! And yes….I am the lady who on Halloween has handed out the healthy options to EVERY child….
What do you think YOU CAN do to help the children in your life?
Let me rephrase that………….
What positive ways do you think YOU CAN help the children in your life?
I really want to hear your thoughts…..